Ken’s Road Trip is a beautiful conglomeration of technical things I never wanted to do…and a particular skill set I couldn’t avoid using even if I tried:
Sorting out the Big Messes and making good use of what we discover within
But the technical training, technical endeavors, and technical productions aspects of my existence really held sway over all I pursued for too long.
My refusal to quit, my desire to earn big, and my love of project creation and direction has led me way down roads I never intended to follow.
I’d gone so far down these roads for so long, that I no longer knew how to switch and keep to the roads that made my soul sing.
The other roads are what I’m really great at: The Head and Heart Roads
But my first foray into that work took bad turns I never foresaw. And bills still had to be paid and new ideas tested.
So for a bunch of years, I went with the more tangible and easier to understand job contracts that others hoped I could help them with.
Here are the problems I ran into as I tried to make a life out of using these skills:
- These things interested me – highly – but they weren’t my true passion
- Most of what I built for others could not be easily maintained by them, so my works of art failed them as soon as I left
- I was always able to see more for my clients than they could see for themselves and for their businesses
- I always had a much deeper understanding of the Internet and Direct Marketing than my clients and I couldn’t get them to do what I knew needed to be done in order for their dreams to coalesce
- My clients frequently asked what they should do and then would not or could not do what I suggested
- I often wanted their victory more than they did
- Many of my people did not have enough faith in themselves to see the plan through
- I HATED living on my computer, ass growing roots in chair, doing the menial work of coding and writing and not getting paid or allowed to act on The Big Plan as I saw fit
- I got paid too little because that’s all I thought I was worth (as a technician)
And here’s the gifts of wisdom that came out of all that:
- I discovered that, more than anything, my people just wanted someone to believe in them, inspire them, be there for them, and to listen to them, regardless of the outcome of whatever plan initially brought us together
- They seemed to want a piece of the thing that powered me out of my bipolar
This baffled and eluded me at first
Took me awhile to see it because it was just one big huge bowl of mixed signals. On both ends.
They hired me for a thing, then seemed to want something else entirely. Something intangible.
I found people were very happy to just have me around. I brought them some sense of security, backup, and hope I guess. And I enjoyed providing that for them.
But the technician inside me – the mission oriented Marine in me – always fought to keep these people focused on The Big Picture that they hired me for.
And it never worked
Some of them could not comprehend the depth of effort and research that went into the answers I provided, and they felt ripped off.
Those same folks, and the ones who simply couldn’t follow my lead were devastated when I’d finally quit their projects.
I had to fight hard, sifting my thoughts and feelings to understand what this all meant
And that’s why Ken’s Road Trip came about.
I still am willing to do the tech, admin, and marketing work of running a site…but only on my site.
You out there prefer that someone else do these things. So my site is for you to do what I was never in position to do with all those clients.
This arrangement frees me up to get to know you all better, as people, not clients. What we build together from there will sort itself.
And that’s how I get to build the little world of interesting folks that I’ve always dreamed of having
You design, create, entertain, and wax poetic. I’ll mule out the behind-the-scenes horseshit. (Hey! Two unintended equine metaphors in one sentence! I notice these things and they amuse me. Now, where were we?)
This is how I get to do what I just enabled you to do.
Ken’s Road Trip allows me to do what I am very good at (project management), in order to create and have more of what I’m passionate about (being in a world of incredibly interesting people, whom I can help to improve, grow, and succeed at whatever it is that makes them interesting).
Just to give you an idea of my “dry” skills
Below is something I once wrote up for a project head who was getting funding from their committee to hire me as Project Lead.
It gives you a great idea of what I do for you here.
Or, if you’re OK with these kinds of skills
I’ll show you how I set these things up for others
and how it all works inside ITGTLW.
- Successful team leadership under diverse and adverse conditions
- Although I am no one’s direct leader in this case, leadership is required in order to bring this project to life. This particular skill makes up the backbone of all I’ve done, regardless of industry. I get things done
- Knowledge of Internet
- How to enable fulfillment of digital and tangible products
- Hold remote meetings, teleseminars, conference calls
- Integrate marketing, email, web site, sales, product creation, offline marketing, resource procurement, 3rd party assistance, and real world networks
- Knowledge of sales machine setup
- Online and offline, as well as integration of the two
- Online payment
- Recurring billing systems
- eCommerce (running a store online) design and function
- POS (point of sale) setup and online integration
- Membership site setup and real world integration
- Knowledge of incorporation process and pitfalls
- Access to my network
- Video, audio and film crew
- Viral videos
- Documentary creation (Our story should be documented for many reasons)
- Live events transformed into digital and tangible products
- Remote broadcasting of our live events to people who can’t attend in person
- Video, audio and film crew
- Experts in
- Sales and marketing
- Large scale event hosting
- Marketing specifically to captured audiences
- Web design
- Program design
- Information product design
- Creation of experts
- Book creation, publishing, marketing and selling
- Fulfillment (Creating multiple formats of a piece of info, packaging and selling)
- Community leaders
- Local business owners
- Veterans groups
- Holders of real estate
- Land and buildings for various needs we may encounter
- Knowledge of outsourcing options
- Corporate teams
- Creating and leading teams of these folks
- Writing skills (Published author)
- Experienced with self publishing process
- Copywriting (sales pages)
- Article writing
- Book (program) writing
- Storytelling (critical to all of this)
- Public speaking
- Stage speaker
- Multiple radio interviewee
- Commercial actor
- Talk show guest
- Expert panel guest
- Booth sponsor for my own ventures and as rep for others
- I’ll go farther than most to see this through
- My stamina is extreme
- I strive for victory
- My own desire to see this happen will create an infectious energy amongst the group. My excitement helps everyone get through tough times in the process
- I am a Marine
- Failure is not an option
- ****’s peace of mind
- Feels that this will not happen without my presence – her words
- Views me as a partner – a CEO level player
- My presence bolsters her faith in her ability to complete this mission
- Create focus for **** and committee
- Develop marketing
- Develop sales process
- Program creation
- Info organization
- Info product creation
- Action step planning for committee heads
- Organize group communications
- Event planning and access to professional assistance
- Monetization of site (where applicable)
- Monetization of real world activities
- Creation of monetized sites separate from mother site (multiple streams of income)
- Various resource procurement
- Office space
- Digital media creation
- Event space
- Graphic design
- Virtual meeting systems
- Platform development (Draw them – not chase them)
- Our face: How will the world see us?
- Our marketing: How will we reach them?
- Create interest: How will we make them customers in a way they enjoy?
- Create trust: How do we get them to take action?
- Create professional perception: How do we become seen as the authority in our niche?
- Protection from predators of startups
- Avoid online spammers (these appear helpful but are actually harmful or less than they claim)
- Avoid online phishers (identity thieves)
- Vet all 3rd party resources who come our way
- Spot dreamers and ill-prepared, potential JV partners before they get attached
- Protect the team from its own potential over-enthusiasm
- Keep everyone grounded in reality
- Keep team focused
- Vet ideas based on my experiences with other “mission oriented” types
- Enhance committee’s performance
- Extract highest value from each member
- Skill sets
- Extract highest value from each member
- Create SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) to reduce confusion or missteps on anyone’s part
- If everyone knows where we’re headed, the mystery of how to conduct ourselves in any given situation is removed
- Assist with scaling up the mission
- Design national and global presentation
- Create physical centers for sharing resources in other cities/states/countries
- Connect to national and global media resources
- Creative assistance
- My mind never stops considering all aspects of your vision. It becomes mine
- I can see the connections that others miss
- I can see possibilities that others overlook
Expenses (Ongoing and Foreseen)
- Consultations for me
- Study Courses
- Workshops (live and online)
- Personal vehicle gas
- Car rental
- Air fare
- Car wear and tear
- Time costs
- Phone calls
- Strategy and Tactics development
- Vetting of 3rd party resources online and off
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- Functionality add-ons
- Content Management
- Adding videos
- Adding text
- Adding forms
- Adding images
- Internet-based upgrades
- Interacting with the public
- Answering comments
- Managing forum and chat rooms
- Responding to contact forms
- Content creation
- Forms and surveys
- Teleseminars and the like
- Editing all content types
- Online forum design and management
- Event planning and hosting services
- B2B (business to business) marketing
- Venue setup
- Onsite sales process setup
- Marketing materials creation
- Access to niche specific lists for attendees and vendors
- Event fees (online and off)
- In-person hosting costs for business meetings