Back in ’99, out of sheer frustration from working shitty jobs, I and a coworker developed an entire event called “The Ascension Celebration“.
It was a huge gathering of people who into alternate healing, metaphysical perspectives, and anything even vaguely similar, under one roof, for 3 days in Denver, CO.
The show, considering it was a first run, was satisfyingly successful.
Most first runs don’t even break even, we were told.
But what happened to my partner and I during this time, both together and separately, was not so shiny an affair.
This show, although exciting and fun to produce, created stresses I couldn’t foresee; stresses that damn near buried me mentally.
Matter of fact, it was only about a half year later that I completely came apart at the seams and even begged the V.A. to put me in the psych lockdown ward, where I thought I might find some peace.
They refused (thankfully, in retrospect) but at the time I had nowhere to go but continually lower.
But even then, during one of my sickest periods, I was producing really cool shit on a grand scale!
The Outsider in me was hard to keep quiet. And it usually found ways to exert itself that even I found fascinating as they happened.
Listen to the cast and see if you can relate. The show taught me much, and much of the lessons came to bear in the years leading up to you being with me here today.
- Family Network Chiropractic in Kingston, NY: The only providers of NSA Chiropractic in the Mid-Hudson Valley
- Maximum Results Fitness w/ Mike Romano: Online Training with Individually Customized Support
- Some of us don’t act until pushed by intense pain or pressure
- This event was my first extended, high volume exposure to a community of Outsiders
- I learned a lot about many things during this time, even as bipolar disorder was consuming what was left of my sanity
- Certain types of Outsiders have a hard time living within structured settings
- Even intelligent, highly successful people can be duped by the lure of false hopes and overexcitement
- MLMs are to be avoided by most of us
- Got to meet and hang out with Gloria Sassoon (of Sassoon Hair Products), which was pretty frigging cool!
- I learned the hard way, many times over, to not make important decisions when incredibly excited
- Not being able to hold a job can sometimes mean you are a Seeker or Scanner, which is normal for you and makes you special to others, once you figure out what all the searching is for
- Struggled for years to clarify the “post-bipolar” mission
- You’re an Outsider for a reason. Don’t fight it, explore it
- There’s a strong chance that you’re on to something that others simply can’t see
- There’s a strong chance that even YOU can’t even see it clearly yet but it’s your job to keep trying
- It’s a damn beat to death cliche but no less true for it – if you fall down, get back up, dust yourself off, and keep going!
- Sister Who: (The Ascension Celebration was Dec 4-5, 1999 on Sister Who’s list)
- Kolbe Index A and my story with this incredible company